Routine Service During Oil Change:
Please do NOT wait 15k Miles to change your oil.
In the vast majority of vehicles, engine oil should never go for 15,000 miles before it is changed. Short trips and stop and go traffic is very severe on an engine and transmission. We have seen a lot of engines that have horrific sludge build-up and the owner swears that they changed the oil as recommended.
If you are unsure how often your oil and fluids should be changed, ask us for a recommendation. We’ll be happy to discuss this with you.
Items checked during an oil change:
- Inspect for fluid leaks (engine oil, coolant, brake fluid, differential oil, other)
- Inspect hoses at each oil change and have them replaced when leaking, brittle, cracked, swollen or restricted. Check V-belts or serpentine belts for looseness and condition, and have them replaced when cracked, frayed, glazed or showing signs of excessive wear.
- Check the coolant/antifreeze protection level. (ask us why this is important)
- Check the vehicle brake system for wear of the brake pad linings and rotors
- Check the moisture content of your brake fluid. (ask us why this is important)
- Inspect the exhaust system for leaks, damage and broken supports or hangers if there is an unusual noise. Exhaust leaks can be dangerous and must be corrected without delay.
- Inspect the steering and suspension system, including shock absorbers and struts, and chassis parts, such as ball joints, tie rod ends and other related components.
- Check the pressure of all tires. Check the tread for uneven or irregular wear and cuts and bruises along the sidewalls.
- Verify that exterior and interior lights are working properly.
- Check windshield wiper blades for cracks, cuts, tears, streaking or chattering.
The big difference in using a expert shop like Broad Stroke Associates compared to a oil change shop, is we are going to have the experience to know your car intimately. Therefore, we are going to be able to partner with you better to make sure you get the most out of your vehicle.